Corteza Messaging

Hi All,

I’m pretty new to corteza - only just discovered it. I seen it has Corteza Messaging (Corteza Messaging - Corteza) where I can create chat rooms etc…

I installed corteza demo local version from the latest but cannot find this messaging app anywhere on it - Any ideas on bhow to activate it or has it been discontinued?

Thanks

1 Like

The native messaging application has been deprecated and removed since the 2021.3 release – you can use any external messaging application you wish.

We internally now use this

To use the messaging application, you need ready-made integration with the message server. I have not found a ready-made corteza integration with synapse (dendrite) server :thinking:

Because there is no ready-made Corteza integration – it is a separate thing and not integrated into the Server container.

Use their instructions if you do decide to use them; later down the line, we’ll add some instructions to our docs. Alternatively, feel free to contribute those notes if you do decide to set it up.

What then is the joint work of corteza and matrix server expressed in?

There is no joint work between the two projects – both are their own stand-alone things.

When we decided to deprecate our native messaging application, Matrix and their messaging clients checked our boxes so we are now using it internally.

@tjerman what was the rationale to deprecate Corteza Messaging?

Would this still be a feature down the roadmap?

My version of the answer is that we didn’t have enough man power to properly maintain and develop messaging as Compose became our primary concern.

As far as I’m aware we’re not planning on bringing it back to life. Internally, we’re using Element to handle comms.

My version of the answer is that we didn’t have enough man power to properly maintain and develop messaging as Compose became our primary concern.

Noted, thanks for clarifying.

As far as I’m aware we’re not planning on bringing it back to life. Internally, we’re using Element to handle comms.

Should we manage to find (and develop) a solution, would you be open to make it part of Corteza our would you rather keep it as a separate module?

Hi @JFQueralt,

What @tjerman says is correct. It was also not heavily used by customers, who usually had their own solutions in place.

It was a good solution, but the interface is outdated now. Do you have specific requirements for a messaging system that you can share with us? We have no intention of resurrecting our old code, but you’re more than welcome to have a look at it.

Hi @nmccarthy
The idea is to have an integrated messaging system for DMs, emails and other channels such as task comments.
The usual scenario is that we all get way too many messages through way too many channels and it gets confusing to follow. Plus, there are sync and async needs.

A sample implementation would be:

• General messaging board - Think Slack type
    In here you see conversations organized through
  • Contacts
    You can group all the channels a given Contact reaches out to you if you have the corresponding IDs (email, LinkedIn & Twitter handles, for instance)
  • Tasks
    All tasks you are involved (assigned to) have their own channel. You can answer to a conversation on the task page or in the general messaging board
  • Channels
    “Traditional” conversation channels where groups of people are discussing about something.
    (Incidentally, these Channels can act as Shared Inboxes for Customer Care scenarios for instance)

One example of how this have been done in the past would be Blackberry Hub+, I believe.

While there are obvious UX considerations such as threading (both conceptually and implementation), I’ll leave that there for now.

I this makes any sense I can work out some diagrams.